Friday, July 13, 2007


After wanting to get it for close to a decade, I finally got a copy of Flipper's second album "Gone Fishin'". This record seems alot harder to find than "Generic"(which was the first record that I bought even though I had the CD, it's been followed by dozens of others). From what I can figure there are 2 reasons for this.

First of all, the sleeve of the record can be cut into stand up figures for each member of the band, and their famous bus. I've gotta guess that a bunch of these got destroyed, and people subsequently threw the LP away(even though I have an old Subterranean order form where you can order the sleeve alone for 50 cents).

Second of all, this record, quite frankly, isn't nearly as good as Generic. I think alot of it has to do with the production. Usually when people complain about the production on punk records, it makes no sense. But here the production is so clean, that it barely sounds like Flipper. Compare the version of "Sacrifice" to the one on MRR "Not so quiet on the Western Front" and it's a joke.
The songs themselves are really fucking great, and the little "arty" bits, which I would usually think are goofy, are totally awesome. "The light, the sound, the rhythm, the noise" is probably the best track, but the version on "Blowin' Chunks", blows it away.


So if you are super into Flipper, I would get this. It's pretty easy to find online, but varies in price quite a bit. I paid around $20, but I've seen it go for over $50, which seems really high. If you are not really that into them, but you kinda like "Generic", I would pass on this.


Now, some one find me a copy of "Public Flipper Ltd".

No comments: