Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More 7" Inch Reviews AKA the never-ending story.



Again, only the stuff I wanna talk about

Cola Freaks 7"
Good Danish punk, maybe like Gorilla Angreb without an X influence, or a less sugary Knugen Faller. While this is very enjoyable, unless you are a glutton for this kinda stuff (like me, and those I hold dear) I wouldn't say this is essential. Your call on this one, but I'm all for it.

Off With Their Heads/ Practice split 7"
I've been staying away from splits for the most part, cuz they never get pulled out, but since I've been gushing over OWTH, I picked this up. Practice (from Japan) played some enjoyable(if forgettable) basement-style pop punk, their cover of "Silly Girl" is ROR-funny. OWTH continue to be the best band of this style since D4(Paddy used to be a member). "Fuck This, I'm Out" is perfect. Wish it was all OWTH, but this is still worth whatever trouble you go through to track this down.

Pigs "Youthanasia" 7"
First wave, summer of hate, Brit-punk. This isn't the Sick Things(what is?), but still killer classic early punk with the best parts of early Jam(but I pray they aren't Mods). Shouldn't be too hard to find to download if you want to test drive it. The prices vary on this a lot, most seem too high, but I was glad to drop 7 bills on this.

Catholic Boys 2 new 7"s
I could never find their earlier 7"s, so I jumped on these. I don't know if I'm just spoiled from those Tyrades and Busy Signals(probably a good reference point) 7"s of the last few years, but this is really In-one-ear-out-the-other. They've got a really great sound, but when it's done you realize the hooks just aren't there. Maybe I'll give these a few more spins, see if I can remember any of the songs and get back to you.

Complications 7"
Supposedly this is the new Born Dead Icons(still a band?) project. When I heard people say it sounded like The Mob(gods), I was skeptical, as I find Peace Punk very era-specific and dated. Not to say that it's not responsible for plenty of classic bands and songs, but we should all have learned by now that retro is poison. This is nothing like The Mob, it sounds like Born Dead Icons without the Motorhead(or Tragedy) influence. Gloom spiked punk that really grows. At first the guitar sounded almost country-styled, but I don't hear it anymore. As good as anything BDI has done, and I'm looking forward to anything else they put out.

I've also been jamming the new Wasted Time, the Giant Haystacks, Reagan Youth, Swell Maps, Kaaos and Cockney Rejects. You should too.






I'll be here if you need me...

No comments: