Sunday, August 5, 2007

A few new records.



I missed a few weeks...oh well, such is life. I also am gonna skip reviewing a lot of the older records I get, since it seems extremely redundant ( totally classic...yawn). I'll still write about things that I feel should be better known, but if you need someone to tell you to check out the Adverts, you're in the wrong place. Maybe Spin will do another "Punk" issue soon.

Black Lips-Live Lp
This was put out by Vice, who I've always thought was extremely intelligent and insightful, but responsible for fostering stupidity in impressionable hipsters. Black Lips are extremely charming and enjoyable, and this live album is a lot of fun. Being on Vice, this is distributed by Warner(WEA), which is total bullshit, enough that I probably wouldn't have bought it had I known that(I'm one of the few left who actually care about that). However I'm kinda glad I was in the dark about that, since this is great. Make up your own mind.

Life Trap-Bleak Reality ep
No Way Records has been really solid and this is no exception. A lot of people were saying "Koro, blah, AOF, blah, 7 seconds", which is really off the mark to me. If there is any band that would be the reference point, it would be Direct Control. And not in the way that Direct Control sounds like Ill Repute, I mean that it sounds like these kids were very clearly influenced by Direct Control. As "uncool" as that might sound, there is nothing wrong with that. This record totally kills and don't be surprised to see it all over year-end top ten lists.

Look Back and Laugh-State of Illusion one-sided 12"
The one-sided 12" is one of the stupidest formats ever, but the fact that it was only 6 bills eases the pain (although don't be surprised if it's 15 or more at your local "hip, underground" record store though). This also has got the worst cover art of any record in my collection. The write up by the artist is some of the dumbest sloganeering ever and a total LOL. I'm all for some new ideas for cover art (the Knife Fight 12" cover was fantastic) but this is a joke. The record sounds good, very similar to the other recordings. You should already know if you want this, but I would suggest also getting a brown paper bag.


later...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey it's the Black Lips! I know that band!