Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Whoppeeeee!



Again I'm gonna skip over the stuff that I got that's been out for a while. I went to Minneapolis this weekend, which was uncharacteristically slim pickings, but I was glad to get a Teengenerate split, the 1st Tyrades and a 2nd copy of the Burn 7" for a couple bucks a piece. Also I got the 1st Wu-Tang Lp, I think it may become a cool thing and I wanted to get on at the ground floor. Here's what I felt was worth yapping about...

IMPACT/EU'S ARSE split 7"

I already had the EA discography LP, but this kinda stuff is way better in small doses. Really nasty, lo-lo-fi Italian hardcore with more of a Dis-influence than most. Kills. The Impact side is even better. Sounds like a less manic version of early Wretched. This is actually a legit reish, so I would definitely pick this up soon. Probably one of the top 5 split 7"s ever.

EXTORTION "CONTROL" 7"

I thought their 1st 7" was one of the best records of last year, but their LP was kinda disappointing. Still I picked this up without any hesitation, and I'm glad I did. Sure to be on my year end list. Power violence influenced hardcore from Australia(fuck it), that still sounds original and is hard as hell. This is what Ceremony thinks they sound like.

SHOOT IT UP 1ST 7"

Not as distorted as their 2nd 7" from earlier this year(which could be good or bad). The songs are also more distinct and there is less of a thrown together feel. A guess of few copies of this surfaced without covers, so the Fash Ids threw these together(ha!). Limited to 8. Yes, 8.

CANADIAN RIFLE 7"
1st 7" from this Chicago band made of members of a few bands you might care about (Chronic Seizure, 14 or Fight and most importantly Shock Em Dead). Less of a hardcore feel, more "Fill Your Boots"-era Leatherface without the accent (or a prevalent D-beat). I think there is also another 7" out, but the covers look so similar I didn't buy it cuz I wasn't sure which one I had already bought. My loss, this rules.

RAPPRESAGLIA 1982-1983 LP
Another old Italian HC reissue. While I kinda wish it had their 7", it's not too big of a deal since the demo tracks are great and this record is the perfect length. An exhaustive discography can be nice, but too often it's just overkill. When was the last time you listened to the, for example. Gudon 2xLP that Partners put out start to finish. You might be skeptical since this is comp and demo cuts,but is a total classic, with the stand out being "Attack".


Also I saw Off With Their Heads totally own at a basement show in Money-apolis. Usually a house full of drunken r-tards is a major turn off, but since I was a long way from home and didn't know any of them, it was bearable. I was just left thinking they are a bunch of losers rather than being surrounded by people I have personal vendettas against. I had seen OWTH previously, but it was at one of those lame PBR-sponsered bowling alley shows, so I was hyped to see them in a basement. They played all the songs that I wanted to hear (their Hospitals 12" is god), they didn't play too long and it ended with the singer in a fist fight.

EMS&D

1 comment:

andy said...

good times, lets do it again

8, yes 8.