Tuesday, September 18, 2007

no end in sight

Interesting? Probably not for more than 3 people. I lied.

Again, there is not too much here because moving is expensive. I'm being a little more selective and only really getting stuff I know I want. For the next few weeks at least. It's probably for the best.


Canadian Rifle-2nd 7"(criminal IQ)
I'm calling this the 2nd 7", even though I'm not sure which one came out first. Slightly different line-up and a bit of a different sound. More Jawbreaker than Leatherface this time. Either way it's still great melodic punk. I'd probably recommend the other 7" 1st, but both are worth picking up.

Framtid/Seein Red 7"
I few months ago I was running my mouth about how I didn't wanna buy splits anymore, "unless like fuckin' Framtid does one". So here we are. 3 new tracks from the best band in Japan and they all kill. None are as memorable as "Punishment" but still better than almost anything else new. You should be hip to them by now. Usually Seein Red has been a band that I like, but never listen to. Their 4 cuts here are totally great, better than I expected. This is obviously a no-brainer.

Diatribe-Aftermath 7"
A lot of wannabe experts seem to having trouble differentiating between a "classic" and a "historical curiosity". Their seems to be a misconception that anything released before 1984 is "classic", regardless of it's merit. This leads to any band that played 3 shows and wrote a song about "society" being revered by the mp3 crowd as another notch on the bedpost.

Diatribe was a band from San Diego, released these tunes as a tape in 1985, never put out a record and have been referred to as the 1st US d-beat band. One might point to AF's "Power" and the like, but I understand the difference, that's just for the sake of being argumentative. While this has all the makings of "historical curiosity",it's so fucking good that it doesn't need any gimmicks to sell it. Reissue of the year. Diatribe mixed Discharge, Anti-Cimex and Crucifix in a unique way that was totally ahead of it's time. The songs are fucking killer, raging and the mix job sounds way better than the mp3's I have(guilty). I was kicking myself after passing on an old boot of this earlier this year, but a legit reissue with lyrics, and MRR interview make this essential. This is limited or something, so don't sleep.

7 Seconds-Dedicated to Hardcore boot 7"
This definitely falls under "historical curiosity". It's mostly from their 1st demo, much more of a street punk/oi vibe than the melodic speedy hardcore they are known for. It's totally enjoyable and great, but doesn't hold a candle their early vinyl releases. Sound is okay, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was downloaded and not from an old tape. Still being a huge 7 seconds fan I'm not too disappointed. Whoever booted this should boot the "Socially Fucked Up" demo (their 2nd) cuz that stuff kills this dead.




We may see a print issue of Huge Knives That Kill before the end of the year, but if anyone asks this is what I've been up to...

2 comments:

CS said...

Diatribe is crushing, I agree. But I always thought that "first US d-beat" thing was dubious. Pick Your King is pure Discharge at twice the tempo; Crucifix, of course, you mentioned, as well as Agnostic Front; Even some of that United Mutation stuff has more of Euro hardcore feel than it's given credit for. Depends what you mean, I guess, because they might be America's first band of the "genre."
Anyway, digging the blog and thought I'd post cuz trolling is lame.

XXXacto said...

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense, but I know what they mean.