Monday, February 4, 2008

Walls LP


The Walls 7" released last year was solid, if not unspectacular. Much of the hype was due to the ex-member status. My two cents: Held up to "Blinded" it just plain sucks, but held up to some of the other tripe being hocked as "essential", it was a worthy pick up. However I question why certain people of suspect taste wouldn't stop talking about. I hee'd and haw'd over the LP for a couple weeks and rather than do the theft/test drive thing, I just bought it. It's pretty much what I expected. Solid, interesting, really well-executed but still ultimately unspectacular. I've made a couple arguments as of late about the relationship of "okay", "pretty good, I guess" and "bad", and how they are now the same thing as far as I'm concerned. The past few Under Pressure records were "okay", Violent Minds are "pretty good, I guess" and Clorox Girls are "bad". Obviously some of those bands are better than others and have varying levels of merit, but in a world with thousands of "good" punk records, who has time for all of that? The Walls LP is "really good" , I guess.

No comments: